By Christopher R. Cogle (auth.), Alison L. Allan (eds.)
The “cancer stem telephone” speculation postulates that melanoma arises from a subpopulation of tumor-initiating cells or melanoma stem cells (CSCs). whereas the assumption of melanoma stem cells has been round for greater than 100 years, facts from the fields of hematology and melanoma biology has now confirmed the serious position of stem cells in hematological malignancies and instructed that those comparable mechanisms also are relevant to the initiation, development, and remedy of strong cancers. medical and experimental reports have proven that CSCs show many classical houses of ordinary stem cells, together with a excessive self-renewal skill and the power to generate heterogeneous lineages; the requirement for a selected “niche”/microenvironment to develop; and an elevated capability for self-protection opposed to harsh environments, pollutants, and medication.
Cancer Stem Cells in sturdy Tumors represents an in depth evaluation of melanoma stem cells and their position in good cancers. constituted of 24 chapters, this quantity will offer readers with a entire figuring out of this crucial and evolving field.
Topics coated include:
- Introduction of the CSC hypothesis
- Historical views and the contributing classes from leukemia
- Current wisdom concerning the id and position of CSCs in quite a few kinds of reliable melanoma together with breast, mind, colorectal, pancreatic, prostate, cancer, lung, ovarian, hepatocellular, and head and neck melanoma
- Molecular pathways fascinated about riding CSC functionality, with a selected specialize in the unconventional convergence of embryonic and tumorigenic signaling pathways
- In vitro and in vivo assays, version structures, and imaging modalities for learning CSCs
- The scientific significance of CSCs for melanoma administration and remedy, together with very important implications for analysis, prediction, and therapy resistance
- Consideration of the talk surrounding the CSC speculation and demanding unanswered questions during this field
This collective paintings was once written via a gaggle of favorite foreign specialists in melanoma biology, oncology, and/or stem cellphone biology. it's going to function a worthwhile source for tested researchers, professors, well-being care pros, and scholars within the scientific and medical neighborhood who're investigating stem cells and/or oncology.
Read Online or Download Cancer Stem Cells in Solid Tumors PDF
Best cancer books
Apollo's Creed & legacy to you is that will help you locate the entire assets & therapies attainable in your puppy to help him/her to lead them to believe larger. And if the time has to come back to assert goodbye. .. you're in a position to face that existence occasion with braveness, gratitude to your pet's lifestyles & so much of all ~ no regrets!
Bacterial infections reason vast morbidity and mortality in melanoma sufferers. those infections continuously remained enigmatic as a result of preliminary reluctance of melanoma researchers in realizing their etiologic capability. Etiological organization of micro organism with melanoma won credibility after discovery of carcinogenic power of Helicobacter pylori.
The advanced panorama of breast melanoma calls for unique concepts for the administration of varied molecular subtypes of this ailment. speedy advances within the box of molecular biology were bewildering for these concerned about its learn and administration. “Molecular Pathology of Breast melanoma” goals to shut this data hole by means of discussing comprehensively the evolution, organic foundation and scientific purposes with a spotlight at the “what, while, and the way” of the main major molecular markers recognized thus far.
- Apoptosis in Cancer Pathogenesis and Anti-cancer Therapy: New Perspectives and Opportunities
- Transforming Growth Factor-β in Cancer Therapy, Volume I: Basic and Clinical Biology
- Blood Matters: From Inherited Illness to Designer Babies, How the World and I Found Ourselves in the Future of the Gene
- Living Through Breast Cancer
Additional info for Cancer Stem Cells in Solid Tumors
Adding additional variability, the types of glycosylation may vary from isoform to isoform, using side chains such as heparin sulfate and chondroitin sulfate, resulting not only in variations of molecular weight but also in differentially charged environments that affect CD44 function . The human CD44 gene consists of 19 exons, the first 5 of which are constant . The middle 9 exons (v2–v10) are variable regions which may be removed depending on the variant expressed. The next three exons (16–18) are constant, and the last two exons (19 and 20) are variable.
Doi:SCR:3:2:169 [pii] 94. Chambers AF, Groom AC, MacDonald IC (2002) Dissemination and growth of cancer cells in metastatic sites. Nat Rev Cancer 2 (8):563–572 95. Dalerba P, Clarke MF (2007) Cancer stem cells and tumor metastasis: First steps into uncharted territory. Cell Stem Cell 1 (3):241–242. 012 96. Chambers AF, Naumov GN, Varghese HJ, Nadkarni KV, MacDonald IC, Groom AC (2001) Critical steps in hematogenous metastasis: An overview. Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America 10 (2):243–255, vii 97.
Stem Cells 24 (4):975–985. 2005–0217 84. Cheung AM, Wan TS, Leung JC, Chan LY, Huang H, Kwong YL, Liang R, Leung AY (2007) Aldehyde dehydrogenase activity in leukemic blasts defines a subgroup of acute myeloid leukemia with adverse prognosis and superior nod/scid engrafting potential. Leukemia 21 (7):1423–1430 85. Pearce DJ, Taussig D, Simpson C, Allen K, Rohatiner AZ, Lister TA, Bonnet D (2005) Characterization of cells with a high aldehyde dehydrogenase activity from cord blood and acute myeloid leukemia samples.