By Alexander J. Dunning
This paintings unites the strategies of laser cooling and matter-wave interferometry to boost an interferometric laser cooling strategy in an experimental procedure of chilly rubidium atoms. Serving as an advent to graduate point coherent optical atomic manipulation, the thesis describes the idea of encouraged Raman transitions and atom interferometry, in addition to the experimental tools for getting ready and manipulating chilly atoms, prior to construction on those foundations to discover adapted optical pulse sequences and novel atomic cooling techniques.
Interferometric cooling, initially proposed via Weitz and Hänsch in 2000, relies upon the coherent broadband laser pulses of Ramsey interferometry and in precept permits laser cooling of atomic and molecular species outdoors the scope of conventional Doppler laser cooling. at the course towards cooling, composite pulses – quantum mistakes correction tools, built via chemists to mitigate the consequences of in homogeneities in NMR spectroscopy – are investigated so one can bettering the functionality of atom interferometers.
Read Online or Download Coherent Atomic Manipulation and Cooling: Interferometric Laser Cooling and Composite Pulses for Atom Interferometry PDF
Similar atomic & nuclear physics books
Those complaints provide basic details at the collision mechanisms of ions and atoms at rather excessive energies and on their hugely excited atomic states. the data derived from such experiences can frequently be utilized in different fields corresponding to fabric research, dosimetry, the examine of the higher surroundings and regulated fusion.
This e-book, a part of the seven-volume sequence significant American Universities PhD Qualifying Questions and options comprises certain strategies to 483 questions/problems on atomic, molecular, nuclear and particle physics, in addition to experimental technique. the issues are of a regular applicable to complex undergraduate and graduate syllabi, and mix jointly pursuits — knowing of actual rules and useful software.
Initially released in 1970, this publication offers a accomplished account of the houses of ice, the connections among them and how within which they derive from the constitution of the water molecule and the small mass of the proton. The houses are mentioned when it comes to quantum mechanics and good country concept with emphasis on actual ideas instead of on theoretical versions.
Here's a lucid advent to the information of symmetry as they're so effectively utilized in the fields of physics, chemistry and different actual sciences. utilizing merely straight forward arithmetic, the writer discusses the delicate dating among actual gadgets, types, and icons, and explains a number of the so-called symmetry paradoxes.
- The Chemical Physics of Surfaces
- Self-Organization of Molecular Systems: From Molecules and Clusters to Nanotubes and Proteins (NATO Science for Peace and Security Series A: Chemistry and Biology)
- Electron Collisions with Molecules in Gases: Applications to Plasma Diagnostics and Modeling
- Space Physics: An Introduction to Plasmas and Particles in the Heliosphere and Magnetospheres
Extra resources for Coherent Atomic Manipulation and Cooling: Interferometric Laser Cooling and Composite Pulses for Atom Interferometry
2. A resonant pulse (δ−δ AC = 0), as shown in Fig. 2a, exhibits (for φ L = 0) a field vector along the x axis. The Bloch vector therefore traces out a great circle in the y–z plane at an angular frequency ˜ R = R . An off-resonant pulse (a) (b) (c) (a) (b) (c) Fig. 0. In all cases φ L = 0. Bottom The excited state population as a function of the normalised atom-laser interaction time for the parameters given in the upper plots. 2 The Bloch Sphere Picture 23 Fig. 3 Bloch sphere plots showing the initial Bloch vector (blue arrow), the field vector (red arrow), and the rotation trajectory of the Bloch vector (blue dots), for resonant (δ − δ AC = 0) pulses with a laser phase φ L = 0, b φ L = π/4, and c φ L = π/2.
Schiemann, K. Bergmann, Population transfer between molecular vibrational levels by stimulated Raman scattering with partially overlapping laser fields. A new concept and experimental results. J. Chem. Phys. 92, 5363 (1990) 4. B. Young, M. Kasevich, S. Chu, Precision Atom Interferometry with Light Pulses, ed. by P. Berman. Atom Interferometry, Chap. 9 (1997) pp. 363–406 5. F. Ramsey, A molecular beam resonance method with separated oscillating fields. Phys. Rev. Online Archive (Prola) 78, 695 (1950) 6.
Each laser is frequencystabilised via pump-probe frequency modulation spectroscopy (FMS) in a rubidium vapour cell. D. thesis . 2 Beam Switching We require the ability to switch the MOT beams on and off quickly, and to control their individual intensities during experiments. This is achieved by a series of acoustooptical modulators (AOMs). An AOM consists of a transparent crystal through which, upon application of an oscillating voltage to a piezo stack, an acoustic wave is passed. e. 2 MOT Lasers 43 Fig.